Tuesday 4 February 2014

weather forecast: bare, gloom and mis'ry everywhere

You don't need the paper to tell you all the news
If you stand by the reds or you're true to the blues
Lift up your eyes instead of looking down at your shoes
You might see what a state we're in

And I'm alright Jack - pull up the ladder
Alright Jack - I'm safe on the wall
Alright Jack - and if you climb just a little bit higher
But the higher you climb the further you fall



Our lords and masters are playing politics again. The Education Secretary is singing the praises of teachers - he looks more and more like Kaa the snake from Disney's The Jungle Book every day. I know which one I'd rather trust.

Yes, they're gearing up for an election next year. They're all at each other's throats, sharpening their knives and stabbing each other in the back. As always, we're the ones who'll suffer. This time, though, we have Mr Farage and his band of dangerous clowns to worry about too. Today's news about the Thatcher government being involved in the Amritsar massacre in 1984 could be very awkward for the Tories. 430,000 Sikh voters upset. There are approximately the same number of teachers in the UK (2011 figures - the latest from the government) too. Hmm . . . I suppose we live in interesting times after all.

Isn't that an supposed to be ancient Chinese curse? Although according to Wikipedia it should actually be: It's better to be a dog in a peaceful time than a man in a chaotic period.

 Still, at least the sun's been shining for a few days so it can't be all bad. What's that Sweep?

3 comments:

Zouk Delors said...

Ah, yes, it's "supposed" to be an ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times", the first of three, each calling down a dreader fate. The second is, "May you come to the attention of the authorities" and the last, "May your wishes be granted". In fact, however, that was made up and appears in a work of Victorian(?) fiction set in China whose name and author I didn't note carefully enough when I learnt this myself. Perhaps your other reader can help?

Zouk Delors said...

I should also point out that I originally learnt of the specious "Chinese curse" from a well-known Anglo- French folkie of our acquaintance. Btw, anyone else having trouble commenting on his blog lately,

Dave Leeke said...

I think the other reader is too interested in the news at the moment.

I've had problems getting links from our French correspondent's blog. I can usually make a pointless remark, though.