Saturday 2 January 2010

winter blues

I thought I'd mess about with a few things whilst I learn how to use all this technology. Here's a picture of one of my guitars in our backroom. Today is fairly miserable for various reasons. The weather is awful - and I feel awful. I have a cold that doesn't want to go, hanging around like the snow.

Everyone's gone out and I thought I'd take a photo to see if I can upload it easily onto the blog. It appears to have worked. Remember, I have hinted already about my problems with digital equipment. I'm sure a younger person (or more logical one) would have had no problem doing it but it took me a while to figure it out.

This guitar is a Fender Highway Strat - American made. I bought it a few years ago after my mother died. She left me a bit of money and as she was always quite supportive of my attempts at playing the guitar I thought she would have wanted me to buy myself a new guitar. When I say supportive, I mean she put up with me sitting in the smallest room of the house for hours playing the guitar. I never was very good at reading in that particular room. The natural reverb of the room always made my playing sound better - I guess it was something to do with the tiles.

I don't play guitar in our small room - I tend to to use the back room as we call it. In the summer I can open the french door and sit at the table you can see just behind it. As old Omar Khayyam said:

Here with a loaf of bread beneath the bough,
A flask of wine, a book of verse - and thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness -
And Wilderness is Paradise enow.


Or at least a glass of beer and a sandwich, anyway.

No comments: